Grants for COVID-19 Response Activities & Strategic Investments
As your trusted grant advisor, our teams continue to closely monitor all funding announcements in order to bring you the latest news.
The Emergency Processing Fund (EPF) is a one-time, federal investment of up to $77.5 million to help companies implement changes to safeguard the health and safety of workers and their families due to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. The fund also aims to aid companies to invest to improve, automate and modernize facilities needed to increase Canada’s food supply capacity. The fund is one part of the greater Government of Canada response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The grant will provide up to $5 million per recipient in non-repayable funding for emergency COVID response activities and/or repayable funding for strategic investments. Small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) can receive up to 50% of total eligible costs. Larger companies can receive up to 25% of total eligible costs.
For-profit organizations that are incorporated in Canada. They can include:
- Agricultural food processing – cleaning, sorting, cutting, packaging of food for consumption or as an ingredient;
- Agricultural food producers – growing or rearing product which have a processing line which processes product grown or reared at the facility (i.e. clean, sort and package). Or those that are converting or adapting existing greenhouses to increase year-round horticultural production;
- Agricultural food manufacturing – comprised of establishments primarily engaged in producing food.
Eligibility for Funding
Eligible activities can be retroactive to March 15, 2020 and must be completed by September 30, 2020. There are two objectives for eligible activities. Objective 1 will be the initial priority to receive funding from the program.
Emergency COVID Response (Objective 1)
Activities associated with adjustments made, as a result of COVID-19, to existing plants to implement added public health protocols and requirements and adapt production processes for the health and safety of workers and their families, such as:
- Non-disposable or reusable personal protective equipment (PPE), including:
- Installation of sanitation stations, protective barriers;
- Adjustments to current processes and manufacturing lines to accommodate social distancing.
Activities associated with the capacity to process surplus animals as a result of COVID-19 at processing facilities, such as:
- Retrofits or extraordinary adjustments to facilities necessary to adapt care, transportation and management of surplus animals;
- Labour costs only as are needed for the installation of the measures.
Strategic Investments (Objective 2)
Activities associated with improvements or modernization of food processing or manufacturing facilities to manage surplus stock; increase production; or that are operating at less than full capacity or closed such as:
- Rental or purchase, shipping and installation of automation equipment new to the plant;
- Rental or purchase and installation of additional production or packaging equipment.
How Ayming Can Help
Our team of grant professionals has the expertise and industry know-how to develop a funding strategy that compliments your planned investments and is tailored to your specific needs. Our holistic methodology and thorough understanding of government grant programs results in $1.5 billion of funding achieved globally for our clients per year. The key is finding the right grant program(s) that align with your business growth and investment needs. Ayming will work with your team to understand your near-term needs and long-term objectives and effectively identify the best funding options available to your business.